The primary threats to freedom of speech/expression/assembly/association are governments but other entities commonly engage in it such as corporate based media. 1M5 dynamically works to maintain uncensored communications for applications using it by maneuvering against blocks and attacks on the internet and direct mesh networks. This maneuvering experiences varying levels of situational conditions called MANCON.
MANCON is similar to the United States Armed Force's DEFCON. It is an alert state signalling the maneuvering required to achieve the mission. It can change at any time in response to new conditions arising. The base MANCON for a claimed jurisdiction is largely based on the Press Freedom Index.
- 5 = Good Situation
- 4 = Satisfactory Situation
- 3 = Noticeable Problems
- 2 = Difficult Situation
- 1 = Very Serious Situation
The following MANCONs provide a description, 1M5's default response, and a list of lower to greater threats within that MANCON.
Little Extra Security Needed - standard use of HTTPS based browsers is supported with strong privacy laws enforced and little to no control over nor monitoring of the internet.
Communications to web services using Tor/HTTPS and to individuals using I2P
Norway, Switzerland, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Austria, Iceland, Portugal, Germany, Ireland
- 2011 - 24hdiet.com DNS Block
- 2008 - The Pirate Bay DNS Blocks
Low Security - normal censorship attempts by states on reading news with public web sites getting blocked and/or government shutdown of cloud cdn content. Freedom of expression laws could be limited or partially enforced / corrupted by corporations. Tor hidden services should be offered so that people can still read news using Tor Browser when necessary.
1M5 Nodes running as Tor Hidden Services
- New Zealand is placed in this group due to being part of the Five Eyes of mass surveillance otherwise it would be in MANCON 5.
- 2010 - Department of Internal Affairs Internet Filtering
- 2013 - The Pirate Bay DNS Blocks
- 2018 - FOSTA-SESTA
- 2016 - Standing Rock Stingrays
- 2014 - FBI/SEI attack on Tor
- 2012 - Kim Dotcom Domain Seizure
- 2011 - BART Cellular Shutdown due to Protests
- 2008/2010 - Wikileaks
- 2006 - Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) 303
- 2001 - USA Patriot Act
- 2001 - NSA/FBI/DHS Mass Surveillance Begins
- 1986 - Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA)
- 1956-1971? (believed to be ongoing) - COINTELPRO FBI Political Disruptions
- 1917 - Trading with the Enemy Act (TWEA) for Blacklisting Sites
- 2012 - The Pirate Bay IP Blocks
Medium Security - Tor network being attacked. Likely no Freedom of Expression laws or not enforced. I2P hidden services should be offered.
1M5 Nodes running as I2P EEP Sites
- Constitution Prohibits Journalist Anonymity
- 2012 - Ordered Arrest of Google Sr Exec for failure to Takedown
United Arab Emirates
- 2017 - Android Play Store Blocked
- 2017 - Internet Archive Blocked
- 2015 - Large amount of Facebook content Blocked
- 2015 - Pornographic Content Blocked
- 2014 - Politically Motivated Shutdown of Internet in Jammu and Kashmir
- 2014 - Github Blocked
- 2014 - File Sharing Banned
- 2012 - Assam Violence Widespread DNS Blocks
- 2012 - The Pirate Bay Blocks
- 2011 - Facebook Ban
- 2011 - Ban on Cartoons Against Corruption
- Pornography, Anti-Islamic, and Blasphemy Sites are Blocked
- 2013 - Torrent sites banned
- 2013 - Netsweeper used for massive filtering at national level for political and social reasons
- 2010 - YouTube Blocked
- Blocking on content that defames, insults, threatens, or is unflattering to the King, includes national security and some political issues (web sites only)
Medium-High Security - I2P hidden services getting attacked/targeted. Actual threats and prison time for speaking out. Pure decentralized news over I2P is required.
All communications including news over I2P purely P2P with Bote for highly sensitive information. Purism hardware recommended.
Highest of Security - Internet access getting shutdown in areas. Strong censorship attempts with massive number of nodes blocked, deep packet inspections across internet, and/or I2P timing/DDOS attacks. People getting murdered for speaking out. Absolutely no freedom of expression protections.
Neo routing using Direct Wireless mesh and I2P Bote with high delays running on Purism Libre Mobile and Laptops.